Monday, October 3, 2011

36/365 (skip a few, Brother..) The breezeway

There is a ventilation duct that goes down the center of church in the ceiling. So "goes down" is not really the bad descriptor I want. "Runs the length of" would be better. There are holes in the ceiling of church with grates on them, and I sat there for many years wondering what those holes were for.

Eventually, I was told what they were for. And I was told that somehow there was a passage to them. I never considered the possibility that they were accessed from the bell tower, but they are.

I've been up the first set of steps, high enough up to turn on the incandescent bulb with a string pull. But abject terror (I love that phrase) kept me at bay. Now I hear Miguel and Jack could take me up there. Perhaps someday.

All I know is that one time, little Sadie O'Toole turned to me and asked where Dolores was. "Dolores?" I confirmed. "Why do you need to talk to Dolores?"

"She's going to take me up into the ceiling of church," Sadie explained. Sadie is my daughter's age. At the time, she was probably about 5. I wonder if Dolores took her up there. Perhaps I need to stop my silly fearful handwringing and just go. It would make good pictures, after all. Documentation.

0 comments: