Wednesday, March 23, 2011

295/365 Advent Meeting

Once upon a time we had an Advent and Christmas planning meeting. The very first I'd ever attended. Sr. Hildegard and Sr. Kinnera, Bev, two or three others, Lynn, and myself. And it was good. It was a group project: we needed to change what Advent was at our parish. And we did. Good ideas became great ideas became trips to find the right ribbon, the right fabric. It was exciting. We stood around the altar collaborating and making something come to life.

Not every meeting can be that, I know. The next year we basically didn't change anything. The year after that, it was down to Hildegard, Lynn, and myself.

That's what it was tonight, too. Just the three of us. But after Lynn's awkward end to the Worship commission meeting, I didn't know what was going to happen. But it was ok. Good, even. She didn't obsess over some weird detail, I didn't bate her. As we were leaving, after Lynn had already left, Hildegard mentioned that it went well.

"That's because Miguel wasn't here," I noted. "So he wasn't antagonized by her and she wasn't focused on how angry she is that he's a man."

But I hate that that's probably the truth.

0 comments: