Wednesday, June 1, 2011

189/365 I wonder what else he said

So while I was caught talking to Missy, which wasn't as excruciating as all that, but did mean that I missed out on the first part of the conversation Mike was having with his family, I noticed that my father-in-law had gone to the back and said something to Fr. Miguel. It was brief and looked friendly and then I got caught up in trying to impress Missy (and failing), and then the debate over where we should go to lunch. But I wondered. My father-in-law is a man of few words except when it comes to stories about hunting, fishing, and work. He is not Catholic--he's not anything, really, just himself. But he's been soaked in Catholicism a long time married to my mother-in-law as he is.

Having decided on lunch, Mike asked his dad what he'd talked to Miguel about.

"Oh, I just told him I considered him one of the special priests," he explained. I may have the quote wrong. I'm hearing it from Mike, via his dad. When Mike told me this later, I pressed him for more details.

"That's all he said," Mike insisted. "I figure it just means Miguel is in a category with Fr. Stephen, you know, folks like that."

I knew what he meant.

1 comments:

mh said...

I know of 2 or 3 priests who have fallen into this category for him in the last 40 years. Takes a special person to be in this select group. :)