Sunday, May 22, 2011

214/365 Adult Education

I went to a little seminar today about RCIA. The title was "How Adults Learn" and I could have taught it. Because, frankly, it's all the same thing through a different lens. It's all college RA training and La Leche League training and teacher inservices and girl scout training and block captaining.

But what it did show me is that Hildegard, who runs our RCIA program, really knows what she's doing. We were surrounded by all sorts of folks who do RCIA at their parishes, and just by listening, actively or passively, I realized we really are doing the right thing. And the folks who come to these seminars are probably in the top percentage of parishes on the "do the right thing" scale already.

The other thing I really noticed was that I was probably the second or third youngest person in the room. What is it about my generation that has just decided to bail on church? Or on church leadership?

The other thing that struck me was as I walked into the parking lot after it was over, on my way to a girl scout training (which was remarkably good for a change). I looked at bumper stickers. And I was reminded yet again how very different my parish is from so many others. And how glad I'm where I am.

'Tis the gift to be simple, 'tis the gift to be free,
'Tis the gift to come down where we ought to be

0 comments: