Tuesday, May 17, 2011

232/365 Today's Note

The nature of water is soft, that of stone is hard; but if a bottle is hung above the stone, allowing the water to fall drop by drop, it wears away the stone. So it is with the Word of God, it is soft and our hearts are hard, but the one who hears the Word of God often, opens his hard to the fear of God. --Abba Poemen (Sayings of the Desert Fathers)

I'm thinking of putting a water garden in my backyard this fall, to be ready to go next spring. Nothing huge or overwhelming, just a small pool on the west side of the backyard. I've been reading garden how-to books and have changed my mind several times about what I want. Formal or natural, preformed or flexible liner, moving water or just a filter, fish or no fish, so on and so on. I know whatever I choose will be wonderful and wonder-filled. I love backyard water "features" even if they're just a preformed black plastic liner with a couple of goldfish swimming around by the umbrella plants. Or even a fountain on a wall or table. That sound, the focus my brain gives to it, blocking out all the neighbor-kids-cars-ambulances-city hum.

I have a bucket of worn out water rocks waiting to sit by the water's edge.

0 comments: