Wednesday, May 18, 2011

228/365 Nicole's Big News

Last game of the season, we're at the bar. We've lost every game and Colleen O'Toole is suggesting maybe we should move on to pick-up basketball in the gym or something like that. Something less humiliating. No one fights her on this.

But Nicole has big news this last evening together. We're seated at a couple of tables smashed together and she can see everyone. "I got a job," she starts. Her kids are finally all in school and many of us knew she was looking and discouraged.

"That's great," several of us start.

"It's at the grade school. I'm going to be the secretary." She seems really excited. And I'm kind of jealous. I like teaching but the secretaries hold all the power with none of the, you know, responsibility of actually teaching. They get to sort. It would be perfect for me. But I'm not looking for a job and in fact will be pregnant with baby number 2 in a matter of months. We all congratulate her because it's a perfect fit for her, too.

"Oh," says Lynn, and even that one word is just dripping with sarcasm. It's like she can't turn off the spigot. "I'm sure that's been your life-long dream, hasn't it."

And that was it. Nicole got up from the table and that was it. The awkwardness that followed was according to prophecy, completely predictable. We started to break up for the evening. And we never got that basketball thing together. Just as well. I suck at that game too.

0 comments: