Friday, February 18, 2011

327/365 Advent Concert

The Advent concert was last night. I usually like the Advent concert. This one, however, seemed jumbled up, like we were trying to do too many things with it. Is it a concert, or is it a prayer service, or is it O Antiphons or is it Our Lady of Guadalupe. I left glad for the break from other things but really, my mind never engaged.

There is too much right now.

And to tell you the truth, I could just sit and listen to shape note singing for an hour and feel lifted up in a way that just didn't happen.

2 comments:

Jules said...

I felt exactly the same, and so did Jeff and at least one other choir member. I really wish what we do at this event would actually BE a concert, since the addition of prayers & readings always feels shoehorned and forced. There are plenty enough prayer and meditation services scheduled year-round, but never any straightout music.

Bridgett said...

That's just it--the songs were lovely. I love that shape note song and the one about usher in the morning and come o long expected Jesus. New ones were good and it really could have stood alone. Maybe one or two focus readings, short, maybe halfway through. But too many words Sunday.