Tuesday, February 1, 2011

344/365 Snow on Christmas

It's like a special gift to children, snow at Christmas. This year, too, it was a gift for me. A gift to watch my niece watch it fall the first time. To scurry around and find extra snowpants and makeshift boots (rainboots with two pairs of wool socks) and waterproof gloves. My brother heading out to the park with the girls while I stay home and let my mind relax a moment.

We didn't leave Christmas Day. Maeve had a fever (still) and we wanted to give Christmas travelers some space. So we went over to my parents house and ate pancakes, no rush. Did typical Blake things (bitched, mostly, in unison).

The snow is 4 inches deep at least. Heavy, good snowball snow. The girls made snowmen and a "fort" that was about 8 inches high. Neighbors joined. It was Christmas Eve and there was snow falling. Lots of it for St. Louis in December.

Going out to the car to head over to mass, I smelled it in the air. That clean snow smell. I remember.

0 comments: