Wednesday, September 7, 2011

73/365 Parish Pay

We finally signed up for Parish Pay, the internet-based automated take-out-of-your-account tithing thingie. I think that's the official title, right?

I was on parish council when this first became an option, and our response then was wait and see. See if other parishes do it and then give it a try (or not). Well, two years later the verdict from parishes nearby, ones in similar financial situations, was give it a try. So we picked this one (there were a couple of internet-based automated take-out-of-your-account tithing thingies) because other parishes had used it with success. And we opened it up to the parish.

Several families started using it. And it was our intention to start using it as well. It was our intention in November. And then December. In January I sat down to do it but didn't have my checkbook in hand for the routing number. I put it off. In February it was out of sight, out of mind. But as we started doing our taxes and had our statement from the parish, it reminded me and I got it done in March, to start in April.

I looked at what we officially gave last year, compared to what I assumed we gave in my head. Maybe some weekends we forgot. Or what? I guess there it is in black and white.

With Parish Pay, we give whether we're there or not, in a once-a-month deposit. Based on that, we are actually going to give a little less per week than the check I usually write. But overall we will increase our giving by a nice percentage.

Now, maybe my goal is to get to church more often....since my money is already attending.

0 comments: