Wednesday, August 24, 2011

89/365 Holy Thursday Set Up

Everyone else got there at 7:00. I breezed in at 7:30--Mike had just arrived home from Indianapolis and we'd put a quick dinner on the table first. Most everything was done, frankly. The altar of repose was set up in the Utah Vestibule. The place was clean. The red was down from Palm Sunday.

And my head was so fuzzy from whatever--a long weekend, single parenting, too much wine, whatever--that I was nearly useless. So it was good that we were almost finished.

I polished brass and wished I had a thought in my head.

I watched as other people busied themselves washing up the bowls and pitchers for the mandatum (the foot washing) and thought about how much better I am on paper than in person.

I took wreaths off the doors and disassembled the Palm Sunday adornments, to ready them for Easter (red and palms off, to be replaced later with....something...) and found myself yearning for ordinary time.

It hasn't been a good week.

0 comments: