Thursday, August 11, 2011

102/365 Vanda Phone Call

The answering machine light was on. I pushed play.

Bridgett? This is Sr. Vanda. Up at church? I'm sorry to bother you but I just stopped in at the church to pick something up for someone and Bridgett, the flowers are looking pretty sorry. I hate to say that but they really need some care. Sr. Hildegard said she was out until Saturday afternoon at least so I'm hoping you have time in your schedule to come up and tend to them sometime before the weekend. I know you have a busy schedule so I wanted to tell you that it really needed to be done. The flowers are in real need. And just so you know, when it comes time to discard some of those plants, I would certainly be interested. But Bridgett, you really need to come up and fix things....

I pushed stop. I don't know how much longer the message was, but I was done. I took a deep breath, wondering when it would be understood that "if you see a need, fill it" was my philosophy for plant care. I don't have ego wrapped up in plants the way I do in fabric. Seriously. I don't have any houseplants. They die. This is not my forte. But I'm happy to have it be my job. It just amused me, sort of, that Vanda's message took longer than filling a pitcher of water and hitting those plants in most need would have.

I went up to church and took care of things best I could. Confirmation is coming and we'll be redoing things. Just need to limp along a bit longer.

0 comments: