Saturday, August 13, 2011

100/365 Maeve Trickery

"Do you want to go up to communion with me?" I whisper to Maeve as I stand up to get in line. She nods and takes my hand. As we get closer, she lets go and stands behind me. Fr. Miguel is the eucharistic minister and I hear him bless her as I walk away. I head back to our pew and Maeve is still right behind me. I sit down and take out the song book. Her little hand rests on mine.

"How does he know who gets to have the bread and who doesn't?" she asks, looking suspiciously up at Fr. Miguel.

I know what she's tried. Maybe I can just go ahead and have my first communion right now.

"Honey, Fr. Miguel knows us. He knows you. He knows you're too young."

Her eyes narrow at me. "Three years is too long to wait."

"I know," I agree. It's a long time from now.

1 comments:

mh said...

Oh, Maeve. It's so hard to be Maeve. :)