Sunday, April 17, 2011

267/365 Feast of the Archangels



Gabriel lives in our church. He's in the staircase going up to the choir loft, and of course he's in the Annunciation window. Always with a lily, the symbol of purity.

I had studied the depiction in the choir loft staircase before, when I taught at the school, and didn't pick out that it was Gabriel. I wrote about it over on South City Musings and Sr. Kinnera let me know OF COURSE it's Gabriel.

Why? I asked. I just didn't get it. Choirs? Why would Gabriel specifically be there.

She pointed out the bell tower. Proclaim the good news. That's Gabriel's job. Ok then.

We don't have a Raphael, and I don't think we have a Michael. But I like Gabriel in the staircase, picking up the scroll, practicing his lines, put the lily down to concentrate...

0 comments: