Thursday, April 7, 2011

278/365 Lectio Divina

Tonight was the beginning of our parish mission. We've brought in a Redemptorist, a brother of one of our parishioners, which hearkens back to my own baptism down at the Redemptorist parish. I'm on the first page. Tonight's theme, though, was the Bible. God's word. As Catholics, I hear we have an uneasy relationship with the Bible. I think that's because so many of us are Baby Boomers, and they grew up during a period when Catholics didn't read the bible. Too bad. I was taught Old Testament by a fabulous Benedictine monk and I was hooked. I'm sorry if that's not your experience as a Catholic or an ex-Catholic, but I find the bible very comfortable. I'm no scholar, but I don't fear it. I don't worry that my interpretation is wrong. I know my faith and I know what it means to me. I use my bible all the time.

He brought up lectio divina during his talk tonight, which is a monastic practice of reading the bible. It isn't bible study and it isn't a marathon. It's taking a passage and reading it until something strikes you. And then dwelling in that word or phrase. Meditating upon it. And then opening up to God's response for you.

It's an easy way to re-introduce, or, for that matter, introduce, the bible into your life. It's not memorization or deep intellectual study. It's a word. Or two. And you, and God.

0 comments: