Friday, April 1, 2011

283/365 Something you like

I knocked on the rectory door and Tom answered. It's Friday and the secretary doesn't work Fridays. He invited me in. "I'm here to pay for the hall rental," I explained.

"Did you just say car rental?" Fr. Miguel says, stepping into the foyer.

"Yeah," I go along with it. "I'm renting your car. I promise not to let the kids eat in the back seat."

"Oh, go get some milkshakes," Tom says with a laugh. "You know, Father, since we can't sell the school building, we've had to resort to other fundraising options."

I explain: my kids' school's trivia night is Saturday and we're using the church basement hall. Tom gets me the keys and takes the check. Miguel comes up beside me and hands me a vestment catalog.

"Look through, pick out something you like," he tells me, which makes me laugh again. But he explains that he needs some matched sets now that we have regular deacons and such--purple and white at least. So we flip through: too old, too fussy, too involved or festive for Lent and Advent, oh, I like that one.

And then I note the prices. I'm in the wrong business, my goodness.

1 comments:

mh said...

Maybe in all your spare time (yeah, right!), you could take up vestment making. . .