Wednesday, April 6, 2011

279/365 Mission

Jan asked me what a mission meant for our parish. I was not on the mission planning team, so I am probably not the person to ask, but this is how I saw it:

4 nights of good preaching, each with a theme, brought to us by the Redemptorist mission team (the Redemptorists are an order of priests--I was baptized by them, actually, and my parents were married in Liguori, where they are based here in Missouri (I don't know how big that province might be)).

The themes for the nights are: bible, cross, candle, altar. The last night is a mass, the second-last night is reconciliation.

The overall idea is to reawaken us and replenish us spiritually, and to move us to action.

The priest who came to talk to us and spend the week is Fr. Jonah, and he is completely engaging as a preacher. Reminds me in some ways of Fr. Lucien back at the Benedictine abbey where I went to middle school. I like him. I couldn't go tonight, and I can't go tomorrow, but I'll be there Wednesday for the mass.

It's not like a tent revival do I hear amen kind of thing. It is definitely Catholic thus far.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Thank you for the explanation! I'm not sure why I didn't see it before today. Rushing to do things here before the rains begin, I guess. The weather guy on tv just said "Rain starting Saturday and continuing through March." That is about the way it is most years!

Jan

(word verification -- skillo)

Bridgett said...

I didn't actually post it until today (back dated a bunch of entries!!)

Dear God, til MARCH??