Saturday, July 30, 2011

116/365 Maeve and the Coming Storm

Maeve was born in October 2004 and two days later, the parish had The Meeting where we found out we were going to close.

I was in the hospital. I sent Mike. I still wasn't the biggest supporter of our parish and I wasn't crushed by the news, frankly. I wasn't even sure I wanted to baptize Maeve there. I hadn't integrated our family very well. I was mad and that was that.

But the news wore down my defenses, especially when I heard about the response. I brought Maeve to a parish-wide meeting when she was days old. We were going to make a counter-proposal.

Keep in mind that we're not a congregational system of government. The Catholic Church is not a democracy. But we made a counter-proposal.

Imagine my surprise when the bishop's committee changed its mind.

I was the 3rd baby baptized at the parish my parents' attended when I was born. First book, first page. I was afraid Maeve was going to be the last one at the parish where her parents attended. Flip to the last book, last page, that's me. But no. We weathered the storm and, just like her sister, the Sunday after a tragedy (this time the tsunami), Maeve became part of our parish family.

And I started praying every night for guidance. Where was I headed and what should I do?

1 comments:

MH said...

You've done just fine! Look at you now.
And, by the way, my brother is that last entry on the last page of St. Joseph's Church here. They tore the church down the next week.