Saturday, July 23, 2011

127/365 Weddings Suck

I hate brides.

There, I said it.

Fiona called yesterday. There's a wedding this weekend, the weekend I'm at a girl scout camping trip, and the bride doesn't want our plants.

There are a lot of plants on the altar.

"They will clash with her flowers," Fiona explains. She's doing the wedding flowers and wondered, on behalf of the mother-of-the-bride, if we could move them.

The mother-of-the-bride, Gillian, is a parishioner. Long time parishioner. I like Gillian just fine. But I'm not parish staff. I'm not an event coordinator or something. I don't get paid to arrange and rearrange flowers. I'm not there to please brides.

I sighed. Fiona backed up and tried again. Gillian could meet me Friday morning and move things with me. And then, maybe could I move them back after the wedding? Fiona could do some right before or after 4:30 mass.

I explained the girl scout weekend. Fiona was silent. I don't know--I like Fiona a lot. I don't know what she expected.

"Have you talked to Sr. Hildegard, or Fr. Miguel?" I asked.

"Well, not yet. We just, Gillian thought if maybe just you and she could handle it, it would be better."

"But if I'm not there, I mean, I think we need to bring them in on the conversation. I'll call Hildegard."

I do. Hildegard is not impressed with the bride either. She goes down the hall to tell Miguel. Jack is there--all three think it's a bad idea. Count me in.

But Gillian is a long-time parishioner. Rules are set down for a reason, but exceptions can be made.

So I'm meeting Gillian on Thursday at 8:30 to remove flowers, and Fiona is setting them back up before the 4:30 mass.

I hate brides.

2 comments:

Gretchen said...

wait, so what is the rule about the plants?

Bridgett said...

Our church isn't a rental hall, essentially. You are not to rearrange seasonal decoration. It's easter season--there are a lot of plants. I could see, during ordinary time, moving the two mother-in-law's tongues we have on each side of the altar and then putting them back, but we're talking 20 potted flowers on plant stands...