Wednesday, July 20, 2011

130/365 Let It Go

It is rarely about me. I carry things in my heart so readily, so automatically, and when something happens that is out of the ordinary, not what I expected from this person or that one, I assume it has something to do with me. I'm the cause or at least the catalyst and I need to fix it.

Astrid has often said to me that, really, it's rarely about me. Something else along the way has jarred the other person. A fight with a spouse, a bad report from school, money (always money), family problems, whatever. And encountering me doesn't cure them, but it doesn't necessarily make things worse.

This is my big challenge. Sometimes I know EXACTLY what I did, and then I often find myself apologizing. But it's a good rule of thumb to know that if I'm puzzled, it's probably not me.

let all go--the
big small middling
tall bigger really
the biggest and all
things--let all go
dear
so comes love

--ee cummings

Nothing's happened, and I know I've written this down before. It's just that I need to remind myself all the time. And this is what was on my mind.

0 comments: