Sunday, July 3, 2011

149/365 Atrium?

Faustina calls. She wants me to be the "helper" in the atrium this summer. That's fine, but sometimes I wonder if she forgets I'm a catechist. I can actually do this. I don't have to be the "observer" as she puts it on the phone.

But I tell her I will, and give her the dates when I'm available. So we go...Maeve was finishing up preschool still this week so it was just going to be me and Leo.

Leo goes into that atrium and sees SPECIAL PLACE JUST FOR ME. He toddles around the room. Shrieking with joy. This is great for a few minutes, and then I settle him down with a puzzle at one of the tables. That lasts a bit, but I start to realize Faustina doesn't want an observer (essentially, another adult in the room just-in-case), but rather a servant.

I'm ok with that, but if I'd know that, I would have probably told her I couldn't, simply because Leo wasn't going to let that happen. I spend the morning scrambling between "Mrs. Wissinger can help you do that" indirect communications and Leo shrieking.

Later in the morning, she starts using more indirect communication by saying things like "Leo doesn't know how to be quiet. He doesn't know how to be in the atrium."

It was supposed to be over at 11 but I left at 10:40 when two other moms showed up. I didn't say goodbye--Faustina was busy with a lesson with the whole group.

I sent an email explaining that maybe I wasn't the best fit. Faustina often communicates by email, but I have received no reply or phone call. Ah well. I just don't understand why I keep screwing up with that woman.

I need the atrium to continue to exist. I need it for my kids (although if it ceased to exist I'd recreate it in my basement). I am happy to help. I'm just mystified sometimes at why things happen the way they do.

0 comments: